little sharing of an idea of ”ftour”, first meal to break the fast during the month of Ramadan. Before eating, the fast is traditionally broken by eating a date accompanied by a glass of water to drink slowly. To change from the sacrosanct harira which remains the favorite of my little family, I prepared them a harira with barley semolina, it’s the same flavor as the classic harira but it’s still a little different with another texture in the mouth with the addition of the main ingredient which is barley, or balboula😋👌
This soup is made with the same ingredients as the harira except that barley is added to replace the “tedouira” or flour binding. It is unctuous, velvety, tasty and flavored with cinnamon and fresh herbs (parsley and coriander). It’s a delicious soup idea to vary a little, accompanied by little shortbread chebakia honey cakes, medjoul dates, dried figs, hard-boiled eggs flavored with cumin, sellou to taste for my part accompanied by a cup of coffee with milk or good for a good glass of mint tea.
- 1 bowl of chickpeas soaked the day before and without skin
- 1 glass of lentils, sorted then rinsed
- 1 glass of veal in small pieces (150 g)
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 2 chopped onions (257 g)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 glass of chopped parsley
- 1 glass of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cinnamon stick (2g)
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- 500g of tomato coulis
- 1 tbsp double tomato concentrate
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small bowl of fine “belboula” barley (tchicha) (250 g)
- In a pressure cooker, pour the tablespoon of oil. Add small pieces of tender meat if possible, chickpeas, lentils, chopped onion and finely chopped celery. Brown everything for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the cinnamon stick and the spices: 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/3 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp powdered ginger, 1/2 tsp c cinnamon powder. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the 500 g briquette of tomato coulis or tomato purée.
- Cover generously with water, adding about 2 liters of very hot water (use the kettle!). Close the pressure cooker and count 35 minutes of cooking from the whisper of the valve.
- When the chickpeas and the meat are cooked, take out the cinnamon stick and add 250 g of fine barley, the chopped parsley and coriander as well as the tomato purée. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Lengthen the soup by adding about 3 bowls of water. Simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat, stirring often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add as much water as you need until you get a good soup consistency, smooth, velvety, neither too thick, compact nor too liquid.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding more salt and pepper if necessary.