This is an Algerian dish from the capital and the central region of our country. It is quite a long dish to make, but the result is worth it.
There is also the Tunisian rechta called rechta njara in red sauce. as well as the sweet Moroccan seffa and the Algerian mesfouf.
These are noodles prepared with semolina and drizzled with a white sauce flavored with cinnamon.
What is advantageous about this pasta is that you can make a big reserve. Either we dry them or freeze them in portions.
The best thing is to be with at least 2 or 3 people to soothe the arms and finish faster.
For my part, I made my little reserve on my own like a big one.
The rechta is prepared for major events, for Ramadan and the mouloud and aid festivals.
The rechta is a traditional Algerian dish, similar to couscous, tlitli, trida or mkhartfa, dweida, and so on.
Today I want to dedicate it to the game “Recipes around an ingredient”, whose theme is “Pasta”, chosen by the godmother Natalia.
Ingredients for the dough:
- Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 kg of extra fine semolina.
- 20g of salt.
- 50 cl of water.
- About 200g of flour to work the dough.
- A dough mass of 1525 g in all is obtained.
reparation of the dough:
1-In the bowl or in a container if by hand, sift the semolina, add the salt, and mix.
2-Add the water while turning the Perrine or kneading. Add the water gradually until you get a slightly stiff dough.
3-We must knead for 15 minutes. Semolina, unlike flour, requires long kneading to promote the development of gluten.
4-Put the dough in a freezer bag and refrigerate overnight. Leaving it in the refrigerator overnight will make the dough easier to work with because it develops more elasticity.
5-Or a few hours out of the fridge before working on it. Resting the dough is mandatory.
6: Divide the dough into 10 balls of about 152 g each, or less if the quantity overwhelms you.
7-Roll it out lengthwise on a work surface, lightly flouring between each dough to prevent it from sticking.
Then pass them through the machine starting with the widest or thickest number until the last thinnest.
9-For my part with my machine, I passed my dough to No. 3 three times to soften it, then twice to No. 5, and twice to the last No. 9.
10-Place the strips on a clean cloth and leave them to dry for 15 minutes. BE CAREFUL, NOT MORE, otherwise, you will have crumbs and not noodles.
11-Once the strips of rechta are slightly dry, pass them through the machine on the spaghetti side to shape the rechta.
12-At this stage, either dry them or steam them in parallel, and I recommend the latter. Heat the water in a couscoussier and generously oil the top of the latter.
The 13-Each time you pass 2 to 3 strips in rechta, pour oil generously to prevent it from sticking and forming a block of dough.
14-Steam the rechta in small quantities for 10 to 15 minutes, remove to a bowl and sprinkle lightly with less water than couscous. Allow it to absorb before repeating the process. Finally, brush the pasta with butter and set it aside.
15-At this time and after these steps, we prepare the sauce to serve them with the meal or keep them in boxes or bags in the freezer.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 3 thighs of chicken
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions
- 2 zucchini
- 2 turnips
- 1 tbsp chickpeas (frozen or soaked overnight)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Preferably with white pepper for the sauce.
- 1 drizzle of oil + 20g butter (1 tablespoon)
- Preferably, 60 to 80 cl of hot water, depending on the quantity of the recha and the meat.
- Brown the chicken thighs cleaned beforehand, in a little oil and butter. Add the minced onion, the washed cinnamon stick, salt, and pepper.
- Lower the heat and let cook half-covered for a good 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel, wash and cut the turnip and zucchini.
- Add the water, and the chickpeas, increase the heat to medium, and cook.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it, add the vegetables and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a little oil and a little butter, brown the chicken, it is better this way to accompany the rechta.
- The sauce is ready, steam the rechta quickly, serve in a dish, garnish with the vegetables, and the chickpeas, and drizzle with the sauce. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon powder and serve with browned butter chicken.