Here is the recipe for this little veal tagine with broad beans, artichoke hearts, and olives shared on Instagram. It’s a real treat. It is rich in flavors and vegetables that we need so much during this month of Ramadan in particular to maintain a good nutritional balance. The meat is very tender, melting, the broad beans of which I kept some young skins and others that I shelled as well as the little artichoke hearts are tasty, all cooked in a very creamy, velvety sauce, tasty especially with the addition of a good drizzle of good olive oil when adding the beans (an olive oil from Morocco 😋 with this particular little taste and fragrance)
- 4 to 5 pieces of veal meat (choose tender meat)
- a chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 large grated tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 and a half tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp and a half of turmeric
- 3 tbsp of olive oil + 2 tbsp of sunflower oil (+ a good drizzle of olive oil to add at the same time as the beans.)
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (you can add parsley and coriander if you want)
- 4 slices of candied lemon
- the juice of half a lemon
- baby beans
- fresh artichokes
- a dozen purple olives
I used my pressure cooker to save time and reduce the cooking time of the meat and once my tagine was cooked, I served it in the dish of the same name.
– In the casserole, pour the oil then brown the pieces of meat for a few minutes with the chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper as well as the grated tomato. Stir often, turning the pieces of meat. The grated tomato will give the sauce a nice color and taste.
– Once the water released by the tomato and onion has almost evaporated, add other spices (ginger and turmeric powder). Sear the pieces of meat for another two to three minutes, turning them often, until they are well impregnated with the spices.
– Then cover with very hot water (use the handy kettle). The meat should be covered.
– Let the meat cook, about 45 minutes from the whisper of the valve, lowering the heat. Regarding the cooking time, it all depends on the meat used, whether it is tender or not.
During this time…
– Carefully peel the artichokes, remove the hay, use only the bottoms that are thrown as you go into a salad bowl filled with water with lemon juice. Rub your fingers with lemon juice before peeling the artichokes otherwise the fingers will turn black!
– Clean the beans, remove the strings on the sides if there are any and keep the beans whole if they are young, otherwise shell them. Wash them. Then cut them into 3 or 4 pieces and set aside.
– When the meat is well cooked, add the broad beans, the coriander, a little salt and pepper and drizzle everything with a good drizzle of olive oil. Close the pressure cooker again and as soon as the valve whispers count about 6 minutes of cooking.
PS If the meat is well cooked and can no longer withstand the additional cooking time, it goes without saying that it must be removed and set aside, otherwise add the green vegetables on top.
– Finally add the small artichoke hearts. Sprinkle them with the juice of half a lemon. Close the pressure cooker again and cook for about 6 minutes. If your artichoke hearts are large, you can put them at the same time as the beans.
– Sprinkle them with the juice of the half lemon.
– Add the candied lemon peel and a little water if necessary.
– Vegetables should be melt-in-the-mouth.
– Let reduce until you obtain a creamy, velvety sauce, but be careful not to reduce too much. There must be enough sauce, neither too much nor too little. Check the seasoning by tasting the saucee.
- Add olives, preferably purple, for a nice color contrast.